"It's a dangerous business, going out your door.
You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet,
there's no knowing where you might be swept off to..."
--J.R.R. Tolkein

Monday, October 4, 2010

How to Dress for Success

Everything you ever wanted to know about Somali fashion!








Start with your basics: tank top, trousers, and shoes...
















Next, put on your petticoat. They’re usually made out of nasty synthetic fabric, so that’s why I wear pants under it. Also, they usually make them way too long, so roll it down a little.


(Yes, I am wearing a petticoat. Takes ya back about a hundred years, doesn't it?)













Now get your moo moo. The louder the color, the better. I’m going to go with the red one.

(Ha! Moo moo. I can't believe I just wrote that.)














Make sure you tuck it in a little to show off the edge of the petticoat. It’s the current fashion.
















Now, let’s headscarf it up!
















Pull it around the back of your neck and tie it around the back.















Geez, this is complicated!

















Ah, there we go.
















No, we’re not done yet. Still one more step.


















Wrap the other layer around so it drapes over your shoulders and arms.


















Up, up, and away!















Now let's go teach some English!



Thanks for reading.
--S.

5 comments:

  1. Holy cow! Isn't it hot??? I have to say that it is very flattering, it really accentuates your beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm not really a "dress person."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie you really look great. I like the red dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look very stylish, my dear. :) Though I'm not sure about those trousers...they're more like bloomers!!!

    ReplyDelete